There is a stage every Tysons Corner winter when you can’t locate the cause of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and frosty, hypothetically resulting in:
- Cold air leaking into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help cut back and reduce drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to distinguish where these window drafts could be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Tysons Corner home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in uncommon areas of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic access points or just the usual windows with functional capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Examine to guarantee that windows and doors are closed and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the workable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Inspect the installation by verifying if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is positioned.
- Call a professional from Pella Windows and Doors in Tysons Corner to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve identified where the draft or air leakage is coming from, the next step is to attend to the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the pros in Tysons Corner a call at 301-354-3689 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.